Dr. Dominic “Dom” D’Agostino is a legend in the keto community. With a PhD in Neuroscience and Physiology, Dom currently conducts research on the ketogenic diet at the University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine. Other than being an expert in all things ketosis, Dom is a physical speciman—once deadlifting 500 pounds for 10 reps after a 7-day fast. He is also known for his amazing “keto ice cream” recipe.
To be successful on the ketogenic diet, one typically needs to consume 70-85% of their calories from fats. Anyone who has tried the ketogenic diet knows this can be challenging. Instead of trying to eat bacon and eggs every meal to get an adequate amount of fat, Dom supplements his diet by drinking fat in between meals such as coconut milk and using Quest Nutrition MCT Oil Powder. To get the rest of the fat he needs, this is where Dom’s delicious “keto ice cream” comes in.
Dom’s famous “ice cream” recipe was first profiled by Tim Ferriss in Tools of Titans. It states that the recipe contains around 100 grams of fat. This ketogenic ice cream is the perfect addition to a meal that is lacking in fats, and it’s absolutely delicious.
Dom D’Agostino’s Keto Ice Cream Recipe
- 2 cups sour cream or unsweetened coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon dark chocolate baking cocoa
- 1-2 pinches of sea salt
- 1-2 pinches of cinnamon
- Small dash of stevia (Dom specifically buys NOW Foods organic stevia in bulk)
- Optional: 1/3-1/2 cup blueberries (Dom only adds if he has had zero carbs that day or worked out)
Next, stir all of the above ingredients together until it becomes a thick custard, and then store it in the freezer until it takes on a consistency you are happy with.
You can eat it immediately after removing it from the freezer, but Dom also likes to add some high-fat keto toppings:
- Whipped cream: just take some heavy whipping cream and add a bit of NOW Foods stevia
- Coconut oil: heat it up and drizzle across the ice cream to make it even more delicious. I’m a huge fan of Viva Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil.
And there you have it. Dom’s “ice cream” takes just a few minutes to make and makes getting your daily amount of fats in both easy and delicious. If you enjoyed this be sure to check out Dom D’Agostino’s Go-To Supplements.